There are many options available when it comes to disposing of waste material for your project. For instance, you may hire a waste management company to get rid of the waste, or you may dispose of the waste by yourself if you have a vehicle that can safely transport it.
But now, there is another option that is becoming increasingly popular: renting a roll-off dumpster. So, what exactly is a roll-off dumpster, and how are they different? In this article, we will discuss 5 important things you need to know about renting roll-off dumpsters.
What is a Roll-off Dumpster?
Roll-off dumpsters are huge garbage containers used for disposing of commercial and domestic wastes. They are referred to as roll-off dumpsters because they are equipped with wheels that enable them to be moved easily from one place to another and are usually transported using specially designed trucks.
Originally, roll-off dumpsters were designed for rubbish disposal only. However, things have changed over the past few years. Today, roll-off dumpster rentals are used for a wide range of uses, including sorting and recycling.
How Are They Different?
Of course, you might be wondering how roll-off dumpsters are different from standard dumpsters so we have listed those below.
- Roll-off dumpsters have wheels that allow them easy to move around the compound.
- Unlike regular dumpsters that have lids on the top, roll-off dumpsters have an open top.
- Roll off dumpsters are rectangular while standard dumpsters are cubic.
- Roll-off dumpsters are restricted in the type of wastes they can take. Typically, they are not allowed to take hazardous substances like flammable materials and chemical solutions.
5 Things to Know About Dumpster Rentals
1. They Are Available in Different Sizes
Roll-off dumpsters vary in size, ranging from 10-40 cubic yards, and each size is designed for a specific purpose. Below is a breakdown of the different sizes available and their uses.
- 10-yard Roll-Off Dumpster: They are suitable for removing small-scale household waste such as garage debris, decking materials, kitchen and bathroom debris, a basement clean out, spring cleaning, minor landscaping projects, among others. A 10-yard roll-off dumpster is compact and can easily fit in a driveway.
- 20-Yard Roll-Off Dumpster: A 20-yard Roll-Off dumpster is available in two different types – residential and industrial. This is important because it enables users to choose one that suits their project and the space available. 20-yard roll-off dumpsters are incredibly versatile, which is probably why it is the most used size. They are ideal for flooring projects, general home cleanout, deck projects, bigger bathroom remodeling, and more.
- 30-Yard Roll-Off Dumpster: A 30-yard roll-off dumpster is ideal for commercial construction projects and complete residential cleanouts such as garage demolition, new home construction, extensive home remodeling, and more.
- 40-yard Roll Off Dumpster: A 40-yard roll-off dumpster is currently the largest size, and it is suitable for commercial construction projects and large-scale demolitions such as commercial landscaping and excavations, large water and fire remediation projects, commercial roofing projects, natural disaster cleanup, large home construction, among many others.
2. Different Dumpsters Are Used for Specific Materials
Dumpsters are available in different sizes, and each size takes specific materials. For instance, the type of waste materials that a 10-yard roll-off dumpster takes is quite different from what a 40-yard roll-off dumpster takes.
Therefore, when renting a roll-off dumpster, it is important first to inquire if it is designed to take the materials you intend to dump. For instance, you cannot dump huge excavation waste in a 10-yard roll-off dumpster. Such waste can only be placed in a 30 or 40-yard roll-off dumpster.
3. They Have Weight Limits
Another important thing you need to know about roll-off dumpsters is that they all have weight limits. This means that there is a certain load capacity you should not exceed. Dumpster rental companies offer weights that are roughly 300-500 pounds per cubic yard.
For instance, a 10-yard roll-off dumpster has a weight limit between 4000 and 6000 pounds. Exceeding the established weight limit is not recommended because it can damage the truck carrying the roll-off dumpster.
Some dumpster rental companies usually charge an extra fee to clients who exceed the established weight limit, while others will off-load the extra weight before transportation.
Below is a general guideline of the roll-off dumpster weight limit:
- 10 yards – 4,000 – 6,000 pounds
- 20 yards – 6,000 -10,000 pounds
- 30 yards – 8,000 -12,000 pounds
- 40 yards – 12,000 – 16,000 pounds
4. You May Need a City Permit for Placement
There are some instances where you will require a city permit when renting a roll-off dumpster. For instance, if you plan to place the dumpster on the sidewalk, public alley, or on the street, you need to apply for a permit from the relevant department in your state. However, if you plan to place the dumpster on your property, you will not need a permit.
Obtaining a permit is simple and straightforward and can be done from the comfort of your home. You only need to visit the official website that deals with issuing permits and fill in the application form. Some of the information that you will be required to submit includes your name, address, and project details.
5. No Hazardous Materials Are Allowed
When renting a roll-off dumpster for your project, it is important to note that hazardous materials are not allowed. This includes wet paint, e-waste, chemicals, flammable materials, toxic construction materials like asbestos, herbicides, pesticides, fluorescent tubes, oil filters, motor oil, radioactive materials, and batteries, among many others.
Restricted materials vary by location. Therefore, when renting a roll-off dumpster for your project, inquire to know the hazardous materials that you are not allowed to place in it. If you have hazardous material that you want to dispose of, the waste management removal company will provide a safe disposal option.
Many people use roll-off dumpster rentals because they are fast, efficient, versatile, and environmentally friendly. However, before you hire one for your project, it is important to know more about them to avoid being inconvenienced later.
For instance, it is important to know that roll-off dumpsters are available in different sizes, and each size carries specific waste materials. It is also important to know that these dumpsters cannot take hazardous materials and may require a permit.